Ep #6: Building Awareness of Your Eating Habits & The Hunger Scale
In today’s episode I’m introducing you to the 1-on-1 framework that I use with new clients, beginning with step one: awareness. Last week, we talked about the confusion that makes you question what to eat, how to track your progress, and other hangups that can keep you from losing weight.
Now we’re focusing on building awareness: of what you’re eating; why you’re eating it; how your body is feeling; and how hungry you really are. It might sound like a lot when you read that list, but it’s very simple to put in practice, and you can start today!
I talk about two big tools in this episode: the food journal and the hunger scale. I’m sure you’ve heard of the food journal before, but the hunger scale might be new to you. They are both cornerstones of sustainable, healthy eating and I think you’ll find you benefit from them almost right away.
I also touch on why it’s so important to get back in touch with your body’s natural satiety responses, even if that means tweaking your eating schedule.
Listen To The Episode Here:
In Today’s Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why a food journal is one of the most effective tools you can use for building awareness of your eating habits.
- How to use the hunger scale and understand how your body feels before and after you eat.
- The scientific reasons why snacking all day isn’t good for your health & makes it harder to lose weight (hint: it has to do with insulin!).
- How I got over the mental block of not eating dinner with my family, even though I knew I had to stop eating when I wasn’t hungry.
- Why you shouldn’t rely on your memory to tell you what you have and haven’t been eating.