Ep #12: Processing Negative Emotions Without Comfort Food
Before we jump into the main part of this episode, I’ll dive into what I eat and how to get healthy fats into your diet. A few weeks ago, I received a listener question about the science behind overcoming your weight set point. That was a great episode full of helpful information you’ll want to check out!
Then we’re going to talk about the emotions involved with traumatic life events and how they impact your diet. Feeling afraid and sad during overwhelming events is normal. You can feel isolated and lonely for long periods of time, and learning to process those feelings in a healthy way is essential. It’s not always something that we take the time to do properly.
I’d never experienced real grief before my daughter died. Without being taught how to feel your emotions, healing can be buffered by turning to comfort food as an escape. Stress in our life or tragic events can produce negative emotions, so we’ll talk about how to address those natural reactions in a way that doesn’t lead to overeating.
Listen To The Episode Here:
In Today’s Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Ideas for quick, easy meals full of healthy fats (for both omnivorous and vegetarian diets).
- How the emotions of losing my daughter, Vivienne, seven years ago impacted the way I treated myself and my body.
- Practical ways to allow yourself to process grief.
- Why we’re supposed to have negative and painful emotions, rather than suppress them.
- What a feeling is, and how to embrace them without turning to comfort food.
Featured In This Episode:
- Ep #7: Overcome Your Weight Set-Point and Shed Unwanted Pounds
- Ep #10: Bringing Constraint to Your Eating